Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tactile

A close-up of my first class project.

Okay, so I said I was going to try participating in a photo contest--so far, I've had entries for about two days out of thirteen, or something. It's harder to stick to than I thought it would be. 

But that's partially because my new class has started, and it has started with a bang. I'm already up to my elbows in sharpies and rulers and giant sketch books. 

I am slowly rediscovering how incredibly wonderful it is to make things. To have tactile materials in tow on my way to class is intensely more satisfying than lugging my laptop to a lecture to take notes with, and certainly more satisfying than the hours I spend at my office desk pounding on a keyboard, printing out letters and spreadsheets.

There will never, ever be a replacement for paper and pens. I don't care how digital our culture becomes--we still have a need to touch things, to hold books in our hands, to run our fingers along the gritty cardboard packaging of a new CD, or across the embossed lettering of a fresh business card. 

We have an obligation to not let this stuff die. 

Don't get me wrong--I'm interested in computer-based graphic design too, and computers can help us create incredible, magical things. But at the end of the day, I don't get any comfort from a computer screen. I do, however, get comfort from a fine-tipped marker and a pad of paper. Send it my way. 

I'll be on my way to my second class shortly, and I'm super stoked to continue work on my first project. I'm out of practice, but I will not be deterred. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment