Thursday, September 6, 2012

Headgear

UPDATE: I'm officially selling helmets at my brandy-new Ferocious Ostrich Etsy shop. Check it out!


When I bought my bike last summer, I decided that I wanted some seriously fun headgear to go with it. I searched around the internet for a while, and then figured I would do what I do best: I'd buy a boring helmet and paint the crap out of it.


I worked without a plan, setting up shop on the coffee table in the living room of the house I rented with two roommates and painting to the sounds of horrible cable television. It was a pet project. And when I was done, I was in love with it.

The idea of painting more helmets and selling them has been brewing in my brain ever since. It's been over a year since I painted my first helmet, and I finally have a second one to add to my repertoire:

 
It's currently up for sale at a fundraising event for my local library. I'm not sure if it will sell, but just putting a price tag on something I've made has made me feel bold. I'm ready to sell these puppies.

But first, I have to get painting.

2 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! There'd have to be a market for something as bright and colourful as your helmets, especially with cycling becoming more and more popular. Good luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. My hometown, Pittsburgh, is definitely experiencing a cycling renaissance, so I'm hoping to tap into that and find people who want to wear art as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete